The Best Sewing Machine For Beginners You Can Buy in Malaysia
When you’re just starting out on learning how to sew with a sewing machine, it can be pretty daunting to choose a sewing machine as a beginner. There are many brands that have been producing sewing machines for a long time, with some of them specifically made for beginners such as Janome, Brother, Singer and Juki. Even if you have a certain budget in mind, you’ll be sure to find a sewing machine that suits your budget.
Sewing Machine For Beginners
What To Look For Before Buying A Sewing Machine As A Beginner
Before purchasing a sewing machine, as a beginner, you would want a sewing machine that is durable and easy to operate. First and foremost, you need to take a look at every feature of a sewing machine. Aside from that, you should also figure out what you will be using the sewing machine for such as sewing clothes or curtains, to name a few.
Here are some of the few features that could help you in your first-time sewing experience:
- Look for a sewing machine that is easy to use such as with built-in stitches installed. Within just a few minutes, sewists are able to sew without encountering any trouble. Avoid looking for a sewing machine that has a bunch of complex and advanced threading systems or patterns.
- Find out if the sewing machine allows you to change the needles with ease.
- Portability and weight is a primary factor as well since it would be easier to carry around wherever you go, especially to sewing classes. If the sewing machine is too large, then it could take up a lot of space in your houses.
If you plan on taking an online sewing workshop or a course in a physical store, sometimes they do provide a package for you to take which includes a sewing machine as well. Hence, you can opt for the package so you could take advantage of some savings.
Price Range of Beginner Sewing Machines
Another thing to take note of before you buy a sewing machine as a beginner is to set your budget first. Depending on the type of sewing machine, the price range comes in two parts: lower-end and high-end beginner sewing machines.
Lower-end beginner sewing machines would cost between RM500 to RM900 that comes with all the basic functions and features suitable for smaller projects.
Higher-end beginner sewing machines would cost between RM1,000 to RM3,000 that come with more complex functions and tasks, suitable for those that can afford a more advanced sewing machine.
Features of A Sewing Machine For Beginners
There are many types of sewing machines with a computerized or mechanical sewing machine as one of the more popular ones. Here are some of the features that a beginner sewing machine should have:
- a free-arm to allow beginners to create sleeves and cuffs
- LED lights to enable better view when sewing under dim lights
- built-in stitches to sew more efficiently
Recommended Sewing Machine For Beginners
Janome Portable Sewing Machine JJ1004G
- 11 essential stitches
- Built-in buttonhole stitch
- Side thread cutter
- Convertible free arm
- Light weight
- Able to sew various types of materials
- Foot accessories are included
Beginners would be able to use this sewing machine without having to struggle as it runs very smoothly and built with quality. The Janome JJ1004G would be a great option for those that are under a budget since it is considered under the category of lower end machines. Armed with a front-loading hook system, sewists are able to make basic stitches and repair clothes with ease.
In comparison with other sewing machines for beginners such as the Singer 3223G Sewing Machine which several customers have had problems with the bobbin thread and tension issues, the Janome JJ1004G allows both smooth and rough threads while also consists of a heavy duty motor. This enables sewers to sew denim easily.
Janome Creative Sewing Special Edition
- Up to 30 types of stitches such as Overlocking, Piping, Quilting & Embroidery
- Push start button
- Auto Threader
- Speed Control
- Auto Locking Functions
- Lightweight and portable weighing only 6kgs
Similar to driving a car, the speed control of the Janome Creative Sewing Special Edition is not something that would be too difficult to learn and control. For those who have a bigger budget, this sewing machine would be ideal with the extra features such as more variety of footers and sewing patterns. It is also suitable for crafters that love to sew clothing items, pouches and so on. If this is something you’d like to explore when you’re first starting to sew, then you definitely need to get your hands on the Janome Creating Sewing Special Edition Machine.